BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, October 09, 2009

Bucket List....

When I was in the airport waiting for my flight to arrive so I could go back home after a crazy three days of care taking I heard an announcement over the loudspeaker. The desk attendant said that the airline was doing this new thing where you could upgrade to first class for $50. Let me repeat that...first class. Let me also say that the plane ride was only an hour and ten minutes so when I thought about that and spending the $50 I didn't get up. We had an hour before boarding and I let my thoughts wander. I started to think about a Bucket List. I knew that if I had one flying in the first class section would totally be on there. I thought about how small the seats were and how small my own personal seat was not. I've never flown first class before. I began to make a Bucket List in my head.
When I went to throw my coffee cup and bag away I found myself walking up to the desk attendant. I asked him if what I had heard over the loudspeaker was true and could I upgrade my ticket to first class. He smiled and said yes. Then we looked at each other while I had an inner war with myself. Finally I handed over my debit card. He explained that when he called for first class passengers to board that I could come on up. Then I sat back down and grinned to myself. First class!! After awhile boarding began. I stood up and made my way slowly, cause there was really no hurry. We were FIRST CLASS Huzzah!!
I got to my seat and guess what?? They give you a blanket!! And a pillow!! And a very lovely bottle of ice cold water. The best bottle of ice cold water you will ever sip. Probably from a very special First Class Glacier. I got situated and smiled at the person sitting next to me. We had tons of room and both crossed our legs. I gave a sigh of contentment. She pulled out her cell phone, being a very important CEO/First Class Flying type of person. The flight attendant came over and asked if we would enjoy a beverage. That's what she said. A be-ver-age. I wasn't really thirsty but no way was I gonna pass up a First Class Be-ver-age. And you know what else?? She would make people wait to board so that she could pass out our drinks. Then I sat back and partook as the rest of the people boarded. Once we took off and the Capt said we could move around the flight attendant closed a curtain between us that the rest of the plane. She brought more be-ver-ages but this time in real glasses. She asked if we were comfy and could she get us anything else. Maybe a cookie. Or a hot soft pretzel. By this time I was covered in my sooo soft blanket and had my pillow in my lap with my new book resting on it. I declined any food and read for a bit.
Now the question is this....do you think it was worth the $50 for a flight only lasting an hour and ten minutes?? HECK YEAH!!!! I came out of that airport grinning so hard the hubby asked me what happened. When I told him what I had done and that really, I had to do it as it was on my Bucket List, he laughed. I felt happy all day long.

Ahhhhh First Class Flying, you have ruined me forever.

8 comments:

mascanlon said...

You crack me up! I have flown 1st now and again usually for work when I was upgraded because of status( oh I mean points status, silly)but when we went to India a few years ago for my daughters wedding we flew business class and believe you me, business class on an airline like Shanghai or any of the Asian airlines is amazing, 3 meals of 4 courses with wine and about a gazillion pieces of real cutlery...ah, it just spoils ya for the foil package of 5 peanuts!

Anonymous said...

I'd have done it in a heart beat.....and my husband is out of work. $50 is very precious to me, but so is my hiney!

Jeri

Jodi said...

I have never flown 1st class but I have to say all Momma's deserve some pampering now and then and $50 is a good price for it. :D

Mary Johnson said...

It does spoil you doesn't it? I tend to get upgraded if I'm flying with Keith or if we use miles for my ticket, we shell out the extra ones for first but our last trip home from Maine, he got upgraded and I didn't -- that's never fun :(

DAWNIE said...

That is an awesome story. You know now that it will be hard for you travel anything but - there will be no comparison. I do fly a lot, and once in business or first you are spoilt forever. Shame it is so expensive, but you definitely got your monies worth - go girl.

Leigh said...

OMG! I would have so totally been right at the desk with you! Giggling all the way to the plane! Good for you! What a deal! I will have to keep my ears open the next time I fly! Did you give "those coach" passengers "that" look as they shuffled by you?????

jeri said...

OK, haven't had any owens updates in sometime. Is everything ok? Grandma ok? Hoping all is well....


Jeri

Chocolate Cat said...

That was SO worth it! We should do things like that when the opportunity arises. Would of been nice on our last trip to be in first class not cattle class like we were!!!