BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Ahhhh it was the Irish In Me

I never know what to do at Wakes or Funerals. Should I cry.....pass out tissue...stand somberly around and look very very sad......hug everyone as they pass and say Peace Be With You?? What to do. So many options.

I chose to do the following:

Walk up to the casket for the viewing with two of my brothers. As Mike and I kneel down together our other, very mature brother, stands behind us. It was a very solemn occasion. I could feel myself start to fidget and I wondered what does one say. I lean over to Mike all prepared to say something very profound and this pops out "I'll pay you a quarter if you touch him." Then we got the giggles. In between giggles I kept saying "Oh my goodness was that inappropriate...I am so sorry!!" Then we would look at each other and giggle some more. It's the Irish in me my mom says. We Wake our loved ones with toasts to health wealth and long life to those left behind and we laugh.

I love the Irish in me.

I love my brothers. All three of them. They are pretty amazing men.

My daddy had to say a few words and I cannot tell you how proud I was of him. He said beautiful words about his brother. Not a dry eye in the house. I didn't giggle once.....at least not until my brother, yep Mike again, leaned over and whispered "I'm going to Burger King...you in??!"


"Kind family and friends please join me in rhyme
Come lift up your voices in chorus with mine.
Come drink and be merry
Turning grief to good cheer.
Till we stand with him
Again drawing near.
Here's health to his family
And one to his lass.
We hold up a pint
And all share from one glass.
Let us drink and be merry
Turning grief to delight.
Till that day when we see him
And again hold him tight.
Here's health to his lass
That he adored without a doubt.
Their love and their bond
He could not live without.
Never failing his friends
Always there to give aid
Always leading his family
As he knelt and he prayed.
His ship lies in harbor
Waiting to sail
I pray for smooth seas
And soft winds to prevail.
When we leave here to meet him
Whether by land or by sea
I will never forget
His affection for me."

God Bless you and keep you Uncle Jack.

6 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

My sincere sympathy to your family. Glad you were able to hold it together. ;)

Leigh said...

What your dad said was so cool! Did he write that?

Jenna said...

So sorry to hear about your Uncle Jack you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kim said...

I'm sorry to hear about your uncle, but Lord you make me laugh! I'm glad you're getting to spend some quality family time. And don't forget to wear your seatbelt when you catch that crop duster back home.

mascanlon said...

Nothing better than an Irish wake. I'm sure your Uncle Jack appreciated it, giggles and all! You havent' lived until you've been to one in Bridgeport (home of the Irish in Chicago) the funeral home is in the basement of a tavern...the better to grab a Guinness on tap for toasting.

Chocolate Cat said...

Farewell Uncle Jack. Glad your family were able to be together to celebrate his life.