BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Vampire Lovin'

Two nights ago as I was doing laundry I walked into the computer room and one of the teens in our household was watching True Blood on the computer. Now I've seen True Blood twice. Both times I made sure all the blinds were drawn and the doors were locked. Have you seen it??? Lots and lots of Vampire lovin going on. The second time I watched it my mom happened to call during "a scene" and when I saw her name on the caller ID I actually blushed. Then I panicked cause what if she got some ju-ju-vibe out there in Illinois that her daughter was watching True Blood and was calling to tell me my computer privileges were revoked for a month???! It was then I told myself, "Self, if you can't watch this without feeling guilty daughtery feelings you shouldn't watch it at all" and that was that. I quit it cold turkey. So you can imagine my surprise when I found out, after busting afore-mentioned teen, that TWO teens in this household watch it! I did what I usually do in such matters annnnnnd told the hubby. It was decided that a family meeting was in order.

Now what does an Owens Family Meeting consist of you ask?? It is where all able bodied people living under this roof meet at a specified time to talk about familial things.

The what you can and can't watch was discussed. The saying "When you live under my roof you will do what I want" may have also been discussed. Boundaries were established based on age and maturity level. Then other things were talked about. We each take a turn. If there are hurt feelings inside of tender hearts it is put forth and apologized over. If someone is barging into someone else's room and OH MUH GOD TAKING ALL OF MY PRIVACY AWAY AND WHAT IF I'M GETTING DRESSED??? I WILL DIE!! DIE I TELL YOU!!! it is apologized over. If someone is being bossy and only 12 years old and ISN'T! JUST ISN'T! the boss of her cousin and the cousin is being MEAN SNIFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF! to the 12 year old, we talk about it and reach a happy middle place. Feelings are made to feel important and ruffled feathers are smoothed. No one is allowed to attack anyone else. Everyone is to use listening manners and tissues can and will be dispensed if you are one of the 4 people of female persuasion at the table and your hormones flair up and you realize that when one of the men in the family said your pants were much to tight it devastated you in ways unimaginable. You may never be the same, please pass the tissue, whilst all the other female members of the family glare at offending male members. hmph!

When the family meeting is closed we make sure to tell the kids that everything discussed is family business and not to be talked about with friends. It is private stuff. Family meetings are to be a safe place where anything can and usually is discussed. Then we do something together like watch a movie or eat dessert or take a walk or sing Kum-By-Ya-Muh-Lord whilst weaving grass mats and burning incense. :)

So far so good. True Blood hasn't been seen hide nor hair of since........well.......except maybe yesterday at three o'clock......by one of the 4 women who live in this household......and thinks maybe Vampire Lovin is her drug.
Hello, my name is Dawn and I have a problem. heh.

6 comments:

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Your family meetings sound interesting...'specially the dessert part.

I bought season 1 of True Blood on DVD but haven't watched any of it yet. I like the books so much I'm afaid the shows won't be as good. I read a synopsis of one of the new season shows and they had Jason going off to a leadership convention held by the Fellowship of the Sun. He did no such thing in the books. He's a real jerk in the books and you kind of tolerate him because he's Sookie's brother but you just KNOW he'd never have anything to do with FOTS. I'd think that would be a little difficult for him anyway once he gets turned into a werepanther....there's probably a rule against it in the handbook or something.............

Jodi said...

Since you are over 18 I think it is acceptable. Be prepared to show your ID though....

:D

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Private matters should be just that... private, and fair blog fodder!

mascanlon said...

I love those books but haven't gotten into the TV show yet. I do the love family meeting description, and I hope none of your kidlets read your blog!

Anonymous said...

I have not seen true blood. Probably shouldn't as I do not need any additional addictions! Girl, life is going fast!!!! Sold my little haven... closing on the 31st, new house closes on the 27th. Wedding next month!!!! wendellandrebekah.blogspot.com
I miss you!!!!! Any way we might get you to Arkansas in August to see us married?

Chocolate Cat said...

I've never heard of True Blood (pretty sure we don't get it here) but now I just have to see it!!!! Family meetings....mmmm....great idea!!