BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

hoarding......

Hey...wanna know a little sumpin sumpin about me?? Okay. I have a fear of turning into a hoarder. Whew. I feel free now that I've admitted it. I am also addicted to any show that talks about hoarding. My family? Those losers find it hilarious. I first heard about hoarding on Oprah. There was this woman who looked like an all-together-business woman but when you went into her house...oy-vay! She was a hoarder of the first order. Oprah sent a team in there and cleaned it up. A year later she sent a team in there to see if she kept up with everything. She hadn't. Then there is that other show about the team of four people who go in and organize your home for you. I think to even qualify your home has to be filled to the rafters with stuff. For some reason that show scares me down to my soul. I watched it when I went to the States from Korea to help take care of my dad after he had surgery. It struck a chord in me and I promised myself that I would do one very mighty purge when we moved back. It's funny too cause if you knew me you'd know that I am the queen of purge! I clean my fridge once a week! I clean my purse once a week and if I'm being totally honest about it I even clean out my email account cause I feel it's messy if there are old emails in there. Yeah, I know.....fa-reak. Anyway, now that we are back in the States and are on our second shipment of stuff my family is having a little fun with my fear of becoming an 80 year old hoarder. Every time I put more then one thing down on a table one of them will say something like "hmmmmmmmmmm, looks a little crowded in here" or "wow mom, you sure do have a lot of stuff" or even "pretty soon you won't be able to walk in here" all of those things cause me to have heart palpitations as I envision myself closed in among papers and clothes and other things I would have found on the street and packed in tight little rows while 50 cats all meow loudly.

Today I got them back.

Tomorrow is trash day and since this is the great purge of 08' we had a lot of stuff to set out at the curb. The curb which is a block away. Oh, and boxes. Let us not forget all the empty boxes I had to stick out there for the box-man to come and pick up. I calmly went in to wake them up this morning and announced that the last set of movers would be here today so we needed to take all the trash to the designated trash area. Ha. You should have seen their faces when they realized that they, the fruit of my husbands loins, would be taking it out there. All of it. Laugh at me you little buggers! Hmph!
Oh, and by the way....buying every bit of fabric in the world does not mean I am a fabric hoarder. No. Nope. No sir-ee-bob. It means I am a well adjusted quilter who loves her some stash. If I take it out every so often and stroke it and call it presssssssssious who's to say that's wrong?? Not me. Nope. No way jose.

7 comments:

Mary Johnson said...

I never thought of it as hoarding...but I am a pack rat. Good thing we move so frequently because I have to purge periodically (too bad I just fill up the new space again).

Lauren The Artist said...

Buying every bit of fabric makes you a thorough collector. Keeping tons of crap makes a person a hoarder. And yes, you are one of the least hoard-y people I know. But then again, you're up against my insane husband... ~jen~

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Hey. I am leaving my packrat days behind me. Doing well ....er...so far. Hey does Trader Joes have South African chutney and spices??? I had heard they stock South AFrican stuff. Am planning my next trip to Dayton carefully...so I can bring home some stuff I am missing.

My Thanh said...

I finally managed to get Brad to get rid of all his college textbooks a few years ago, before the baby was born. I needed the closet space in the spare room/soon to be big brother room. Let's see, he'd only graduated 9 years before then. He still had a hard time getting rid of them. They were still in the original boxes from our very first of many moves. Still untouched in all that time.

Seriously. I hang on to stuff, too, but I sold all my books at the end of each semester and used the cash for useful stuff like shoes and Dr. Peppers.

Leigh said...

You have nothing to fear! You are not a hoarder! And shame on your family for teasing you! You can always threaten them that when you are old and wearing diapers that you are going to come live with them! Share the love!

Chocolate Cat said...

Oh my goodness, we share a fear!!! My m-i-l is a terrible hoarder and my mum isn't a whole lot better so I've decided I don't want to be like them.....only problem is that is the way I am heading! I have to learn to let go....and I love the way you got back at the kids!!Wish I could of seen their faces!

Kim said...

I've fallen behind on blog reading and I'm just getting caught up with all your moving around and such. Gotta say you just crack me up! ROFLOL!