BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday....

I've told you all how I sleep downstairs on the couch, every vigilant, when my hubby is away.
He has been gone off and on since we've moved here quite a bit. Lately my 16 year old has been making me a cup of coffee and bringing it to me with a cheery "Morning Mom!"

I really like it.

Then we chat for a couple of minutes before she has to leave for school. It's a very nice way to start the day. Being a military spouse can at times be a lonely. Your spouse can be gone a lot. Either in another country or, like mine, different States every couple of days. You move every couple of years. You are far from family. Many times you do birthdays...holidays...aniversarys...parent/teacher conferences....bills....ER visits with kids....all those things you usually end up doing alone. You can go days at a time without hearing from your spouse. There have been times lately I've asked my hubby "Now where are you again??"
All of this can be challenging to say the least. And did I mention lonely??

It's been during these past couple of months, since we moved here, that I've realized how much my kids become company for me. Someone to talk to. Someone to laugh with.

While I was enjoying the coffee my daughter made for me and we were laughing about something that happened to her at work last night I had a thought ...I thought this is a memory. A really nice memory I can take out later and think about. When she is older and living in her own home. It made me feel all warm inside. These are the things a military spouse holds onto when life is a little less then you want it to be. We learn to find the blessings in the everyday.

My hubby comes home this afternoon and it will be so nice to have him back where he belongs. The Boo-Bear is spending the night at a friends house and the other two have plans of their own. It will be just the two of us. :) I plan on making a nice dinner and cracking open a bottle of wine.
It will be another nice memory I can take out later and I think that's what life is all about. If you're lucky. :)
So today I challenge you. Take a step back and find the little things that make you smile. Realize your everyday blessings. Make an effort to feel thankful. And have a great Friday everyone!!
hugs

8 comments:

Leigh said...

That was a really nice blog. We seem to get to busy with daily mundane things, that we forget to just stop, breathe and take it all in. Miss ya girl!

Johanna said...

Aww, you're so right. My husband is a retired Lt. Col. from the Army. He was never full-time, but rather a member of the Reserves, but when he went away for his 2 week duty, which for him was 3 weeks because of his status, I went nuts! When he was in Guatemala and figured out his cell phone worked, we racked up tons of charges, but that didn't matter, I was connected to him.

Sometimes when we have something or someone and they travel, we appreciate them more when they are home. It's too bad we don't always appreciate the things we have or the people in our lives when they are a constant. It's always good to have that reminder.

Enjoy your evening! :)

Chocolate Cat said...

Hope you had a lovely evening to welcome home the Capt'n and make another memory. Thank you for reminding us of how much we have to be thankful for and to reach out and grab it rather than to see only the bad in a situation!

Mary Johnson said...

Keith came home tonight too -- we walked downtown for dinner and are getting ready for a game of Scrabble in front of the fire. I don't mind his travel because I can be a solitary person but I'm always happy when he gets home.

Enjoy your Friday and treasure your memories - I do!

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a wonderful reunion with your Hubby...Life as a military spouse is good but we pay a great price.

Unknown said...

Such a great post! Each moment has the potential to be a beautiful gift, a cherished memory!
~AM

Stephanie D said...

Oh, I loved it when the daughter began seeing me as other than the enemy! She's 30 now and sometimes she even takes on the "mother" role when with us--cooking us a meal, for instance.

Thanks for reminding me of some wonderful, every day memories!

june cleaver said...

I feel your pain-a military wife's lonliness is the loudest quiet I have ever heard.

Hope his homecomming was everything you hoped for... and by that I mean that if you are anything like me, I am so excited to see my husband that the moment he walks through the door I say "hello... I am going to bed" and then I finally am able to get that deep uninterupted sleep that I never seem to get while he is away... because I am ever vigilant.