BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Our Boo-Bear finds her inner "Moesha"

Our Boo-Bear is a pistol. Actually that's putting it mildly. She is all personality. Last night she came in the house with a spring in her step so I knew something was up. I girded my loins, got myself ready and asked the question that puts fear in my heart. "Did you have fun outside??" Oh boy. She couldn't get the words out fast enough. She called another little girl a racist. WHA?? Here's what happened...There is a new girl in town. She happens to be brown. Boo-Bear and her possee went to go and meet her. Inform her of the lay of the land. Tell her what's what. All was going well until my Boo-Bear decided that since she has light brown hair and blue eyes this girl might not know that she considers herself black. Yep. She does. This is a sudden thing. She has embraced the people of my husband with open arms. The other night I walked in the living room and she was watching (no lie) Roots. I told her it might be kind of rough for her to watch so she should turn it to something else or watch it with her father another time. She informed me that "it's my history!! I need to know!" and then she looked at me with an air of "you will never understand the plight of my people" so I walked away. Then I called the hubby at work and told him. He thinks she is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Sigh.
Anyway, the new girl didn't believe that Boo-Bear was a "sista" and called her on it. My girl insisted. Lots of neck rolling and hand waving ensued. Then the big guns were pulled out. Boo-Bear said she was being a racist and they each said they were telling!! The new girl ran to get her momma. Boo-Bear explained that her little girl was being racist to her and that she was indeed black. The mom, bless her, was patient and explained that her little girl had no idea what a racist was being a third grader and all. I am sure she was looking at my little Mariah Carey and thinking that she was the whitest little black girl she'd ever seen. The mom asked where I was in all this and Boo-Bear told her I was home. Totally unaware of the havoc my Alicia Keys was starting. After her story..she told me how she was very respectful to the mom...I asked her if she let them know that yes she looks white but her DAD is black. No. She didn't feel the need to tell all our personal business. The little girl should've believed her right away.
sigh.
Power To The People.

7 comments:

Lil said...

Your blog never ceases to make me laugh and I love your humor! From one white cracker to another.....lol

Lauren The Artist said...

Ok, just so we're clear- she's NOT the teenager, right? You're going to have a fun couple-a-five more years! Good luck. Your blog is off the chiz'ang! ~jen~

Pam said...

oh my goodness..."She didn't feel the need to tell all our personal business." Cracking me up!!!

Pam@
www.pamgwillim.com

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Hey, since the little girl is only third grade...she's ahead of the learning curve.I'm with Jen... do you want to start drinking now...or wait a while.Too funny, could just see the head rolling and hand gestures!

Elaine Adair said...

Oh my - she's becoming a strong, and intelligent young lady, and NOT afraid to speak up! Third grade? Learning things early, these days, aren't they?

Ya jes can't keep them protected forever, can you? Good for her.

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Your words about the quilt were too kind...if I taught people...they would ALL make wonky quilts.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Love that story!!
So pleased to catch up and know that Dad will be OK, can totally sympathise on the gym thing-I am trying it as well!!
Have an absolutely fabulous time at home-no-one will care about the 40 pounds...as long as excess baggage doesn't!!LOL Tracey